1. What did you do in 2011 that you’d never done before?
Visited France, Germany and Austria; ran a 10K; fertility testing
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I came pretty close to keeping them, and I can honestly say that I actively worked on them throughout the year. I'll write a whole post about resolutions at the top of the new year. Not sure if I'll make new ones.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes. Many, many good friends had beautiful babies this year.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
See above! France, Germany and Austria.
6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you didn’t have in 2011?
I probably don't need to even tell you this, but a baby would be rather nice.
7. What dates from 2011 will be etched upon your memory, and why?
I don't really have great recall for dates, but events that will be forever etched in my memory are finding out that both Colby and I are saddled with infertility and learning that we will be making our home in Germany for a couple of years.
8. What was your biggest achievement of this year?
I think maintaining my sanity and a shred of grace while dealing with infertility. There have been so many times where it would have been so much easier to NOT bite my tongue when someone made an (probably unintentional) insensitive comment.
9. What was your biggest failure?
I had big plans to work on my novel, and I haven't even opened the word doc once. I think about it constantly, but I haven't made myself sit down and write. I make time for blogging, why is this so hard for me?
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I had surgery to remove a uterine polyp.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
My new iPhone. It has changed my life. And Angry Birds. Same.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Colby. Seriously, that guy rocks. He has made me laugh when I wanted to cry, let me cry when I just needed to get it out, and been my rock this year. It makes me all verklempt just thinking about him.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Personally, nasty anonymous blog commenters. In a more universal sense, just about every political leader in the world.
14. Where did most of your money go?
To Europe. I thought we would have single-handedly ensured the success of the Euro. Maybe once we live there full time we'll be able to turn things around.
15. What did you get really excited about?
Travel. I got to have some really fun adventures this year, from the Magic Kingdom and Wizarding World of Harry Potter, to the Bean in Chicago, to cheering on the LSU Tigers at good old Rocky Top, to the top of the Eiffel Tower.
16. What song will always remind you of 2011?
Adele, Rolling in the Deep
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Strangely enough, probably happier, but only because of the events of the past month.
b) thinner or fatter? Neither, but probably in better shape.
c) richer or poorer? Poorer. And soon to be even more so. Hope our fertility doctor at least gets a boat out of this.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Other than writing more, I feel like I did a pretty good job of finding balance this year. I make time for friends, work, exercise, keeping the house up--I'm actually pretty impressed with myself!
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Crying and/or feeling sorry for myself. Turns out, it doesn't actually solve anything!
20. How will you spend Christmas?
I spent it with my mom, dad, and sister at home in Baton Rouge. It was perfect.
21. Did you fall in love in 2011?
Not with anyone new, but as I mentioned, I gained a new appreciation for my relationship with Colby and I feel like we grew even closer despite the obstacles.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
A lot of shows this year started out good then wen rapidly downhill... I think my favorites are probably New Girl, Modern Family and Once Upon a Time.
23. What was the best book you read?
I read a lot of good books this year, but my favorite and the best written was Laura Hillenbrand's Unbroken. Nonfiction, that's a surprise!
24. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Um, I finally got around to noticing Adele! I'm kind of slow in cottoning to "new" music.
25. What did you want and get?
A new iPhone, glorious, magical thing! And an assignment to Germany!
26. What did you want and not get?
A new computer, a baby. Very different levels of disappointment.
27. What was your favorite film of 2011?
I can never remember what movies I've seen over the year... Did the last Harry Potter come out this year? If so, that one!
28. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 29 on December 20, and I went to dinner at Le Creole in Baton Rouge with my inlaws, parents, and some friends. It was a wonderful celebration.
29. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
I feel like a broken record, but a baby would have been quite nice.
30. How would you describe your personal fashion concept of 2011?
I think I've finally filled my closet with clothes that I actually enjoy wearing and feel good in. I don't think I really fall into any specific category, but the closest would probably just be classic. I follow a few trends (jeggings anyone?) but only the ones I like and think flatter my body type. All in all, I tend to avoid flash in the pan fashions and stick with clothes that I can wear year after year.
31. What kept you sane?
Can I say cheap red wine without sounding like an alcoholic?
32. What political issue stirred you the most?
I'm constantly stirred by political issues... probably mainly the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, gay rights, and the economy.
33. Who did you miss?
I spent an awful lot of the year missing Colby. And my family. And my friends around the country. I spend a lot of time missing people.
34. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011.
Life doesn't always go your way, but as long as it keeps going you're doing okay.
35. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you just might find you get what you need.